Mountain Biking & Wine Tasting in Winchester.
This summer (2021) I celebrated a special birthday how I like it the most… outdoor with friends and tasting my Fab Wines with some stops along the way. The weather was glorious and I was lucky enough that Balbina the producer of BSixTwelve was available to host us and present her vineyard.
Fab Rides Winchester Circular
To enjoy the day I created a nice circular route around Winchester as the Lone Farm vineyard is North-East while I live South West. I called this ride the “Fab Rides Winchester Circular”. There are several variations to be ridden based on the starting point, the endurance of the riders, the technical skillset, the seasonality, and the weather. When I ride I tend to consider all the elements I mentioned earlier while playing with all the features and small segments I find on my way to transfer how beautiful is mountain biking… and along this route, there are so many! My kind of mountain biking is not efficient or direct. I like to stop, socialise, discover and play with some features we find along the way.
Overall the ride covers Oliver’s Battery, Compton, Shawford, Twyford, Chilcomb, Itchen Abbas, Micheldever Wood, Micheldever, South Wonston, Worthy Down, Harestock, Weeke Down, Colin Copse, … Soon I will create a page with a version of this route you can ride by yourself or with me.
It is really a beautiful ride but there are still a few riding issues. Some of them are:
- Oliver’s Battery: there is a bridleway mentioned on the Ordnance Survey maps but that doesn’t exist in reality (please read this article) so be aware of this when you plan the route. That bridleway would be perfect to make this ride even better.
- Chilcomb to Itchen Abbas: you can’t avoid some tarmac after Chilcomb unless you ride on a footpath that is very rarely used but this is not allowed in England!
- There are several variations to make the ride longer and shorter. Extending the ride to visit The Bush Inn in Ovington is one of them.
Our Wine Tasting
The vertical tasting I ran involved 6 wines I usually recommend to pair with food. The wines are (links to my website to each of them):
- Prosecco Superiore di Valdobbiadene DOCG – Brut – Tanore
- Luigi Voghera – Dolcetto d’Alba Vigna Basarin – DOC
- Barbera d’Alba Superiore – Luigi Voghera – DOC
- Langhe Arneis – Luigi Voghera – DOC
- Langhe Nebbiolo – Luigi Voghera – DOC
- Lone Farm – BSixTwelve 2018 – DOP
As we were riding we didn’t drink much wine and the drinks stops were mainly soft drinks but we all did enjoy the tasting notes.
You can order/buy the BSixTwelve directly from Lone Farm (website here) or you can also get it through me (Fab Wines).
For Tanorè e Luigi Voghera I’m the only importer and distributor in the UK so what are you waiting for! Come and get them at Fab Wines!
Thank you to all the people that came to my tasting.
Please donate to my small fundraising campaign if you can (here is the link https://bit.ly/3wnQj2t). Every little help. This is my first fundraising mission of the second half! ??
And here are some details to help you contact us:
Outdoor and Wine Tasting Events Planning and Mountain Biking Lead – Fab Rides and Wines (me)place.
- websites: www.fab-rides.co.uk & www.fab-wines.co.uk
- Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FabMTBRides & https://www.facebook.com/FabWinesExperiences
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/Fab_MTBRides & https://www.instagram.com/fab_wines/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/FAB_Ride & https://twitter.com/FAB_wines
Winchester (Itchen Abbas) Pinot Blanc (white wine) Vineyard – Bsixtwelve @ Lone Farm:
Other (pubs, restaurants, and vineyards):
- Luigi Voghera – Fab Piedmont Producer
- Prosecco Tanore – Fab Super Prosecco Producer
- Inn the Park – BSixTwelve Distributor and Amazing Place – Abbey Mill, Colebrook Street, Winchester SO23 9LH
- Half Moon & Spread Eagle – Fab Riders Lunch stop – Lovely Place with plenty of gluten-free food and drinks – Winchester Rd, Micheldever, Winchester SO21 3DG
- The Plough – First Stop on the day – Main Road, Itchen Abbas, Winchester SO21 1BQ FB
- Bugle Inn – We didn’t stop but definitely worh considering for next time – Park Ln, Twyford, Winchester SO21 1QT
- The Bush Inn – Perfect for a longer extension adding additional amazing segments and trails – Ovington, Alresford SO24 0RE